s we mentioned in our overview of free software of the week, it is always important to check downloads from the internet with an anti-virus checker. So what better place to start, than by introducing one of the more popular free anti-virus checkers on the internet with over 110 million downloads worldwide – AVG anti-virus checker. The AVG company was founded in 1991 with a primary focus on protecting people around the world in regard to internet security and the AVG Virus Scanner is their flagship product and available in 3 versions;
- Anti-virus free – Basic core protection (which we will be covering) and is free for personal use.
- Anti-virus – Has a few extra security features including chat and download security and technical support.
- Internet Security – The complete package which comes with the features of both anti-virus free and anti-virus. But also incldues extra security features such as shopping and banking, wireless network safety and also monitors your pc performance.
So what does the Anti-virus free version contain? The following
- The anti-virus checker itself, A great feature which you can set to scan your computer for viruses at predetermined intervals, manually through the control panel or by right clicking on a file you have downloaded and starting a scan on that individual file.
- Security Toolbar Component which helps improve internet protection through tracking dangerous websites and notifying you of any suspicous content you may be visiting.
- Email Scanner which supports most of the popular email clients, and scans incoming (and outgoing, turned off by default) messages for any suspicious files.
- Protects your computer from spyware, adware and other malicious programs.
- Resident shield, which works continually in the background checking files that you are working with for any security threats.
- Anti-rootkit, which scans certain files on your computer for suspicious activity that may allow attacker access to admin privileges on your computer.
- LiveKive, free 5GB of online data storage with the ability to back or share files from your computer.
There are also two new features which are coming soon to the AVG virus scanner
- Family Safety (off by default) where you can protect your family from inappropriate websites, media content, online searches etc. A great feature for families.
- Automatic updates from the internet.
The AVG anti-virus free version provides a high level of internet security for the average user. If though you are in the market for a virus scanner but would like a higher level of protection you can download and test drive AVG for free with the added bonus of being able to upgrade at a later date if it meets your requirements.